This section has been very useful in helping me become more internet and search savvy. I have learned of the multiple ways to search the in internet using a variety of search engines. For example, there are meta search engines and directories. These can be much more efficient and productive in a search than just googling something. From the discussion Forums, it looks like DMOZ.org is a popular directory to search. I also learned about what actually happens when a search is made, including spider bots and indexes. Boolean searches are also helpful in narrowing down searches using AND, OR, or NOT. Digital Citizenship is important, including proper netiquette. People should know how to behave when online.
Before this section, I had been unfamiliar with Information Fluency. Now I much more aware of what it takes to be productive in school and the working world in the 21st century. These are some of the basic skills needed to be information fluent:
-Adapt to Change
-Manage Goals and Time
-Interact Effectively with Others
-Manage Projects
-Guide and Lead Others
-Access and Evaluate Information
-Analyze Media
-Apply Technology Effectively
The deep web is also a very valuable tool in finding credible information on topics. It holds information I can't find in a simple Google search, including scholarly journals. Information Privacy is something to keep in mind whenever you search the web. You should always read a website's privacy policy before you give them any of your personal information.
My participation has been up to par for this module. I am still putting in the necessary effort. I may want to add in more study time so I can raise my grade on the next test.
New Words:
1. Information Fluency
2. Boolean Operator
3. Spider
4. Drilling Down
The most useful site I used this module was 21st Century Skills. There was a lot of practical information on what I should work on improving in order to get a good job in the 21st Century.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment