Thursday, February 11, 2010

LJ2

Because so many people are connected to the internet these days, it is becoming more and more important to make sure we're using it safely. There are many dangers out there on the web, including hackers, viruses, and spam. It can be very easy to become a victim of identity theft if you don't practice good internet security. One way to keep the malicious software at bay is to have an up-to-date web browser and anti-malware software, such as McAfee. Hackers and virus authors will take advantage of computers that haven't patched up their security.
I found the Hi-Tech Heist video very interesting as well. I didn't realize using credit cards in stores can be more dangerous than shopping online. My mother has always been leery of putting her credit card information online, so this should enlighten her. I learned from McAfee Do's and Dont's of Online Shopping page that by law you're only liable for $50 if your credit card is stolen and misused. I'm much more inclined to shop online now.
Lastly, I learned that I should be skeptical of any suspicious ads I receive in email, and I should never give out personal information through an email. This is a likely way to be a victim of spam and identity theft.
I believe my participation has been satisfactory for the course. Everything has been done by the due date and I feel pretty on par.

1. InPrivate Filtering
2. Web Bug
3. SSL
4. web portal

The McAfee Do's and Dont's of Online Shopping was helpful and informative this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment